• Please take a moment and tell us about your project, or give us a call at (888) 873-3281.
  • Write a short description of your business and services required

5 Easy Steps to Merging Duplicate Facebook Pages

If your company has multiple Facebook Pages or Places, you can easily merge these pages to combine ‘likes’ and check-ins. Whether you accidentally created duplicate pages when first starting your business page, or have a separate Facebook Page and Place, you can combine these all into one page on Facebook. I recently went through Facebook’s new process for merging pages and will walk you through these 5 easy steps to merging duplicate pages.

Note: Both pages or places must have a similar name before beginning.

Step 1: Whether you are merging a Facebook Page or Place, you must have admin access to both. If you are combining a Page and Place and do not have access to the Place page for check-ins, you will need to claim your Place Page first.

Step 2: Navigate to the Facebook Page or Place with the most ‘likes’. This is the page you will KEEP and will add the fans and check-ins from the other page to the page you will keep. The page with fewer likes will be merged into the one with more likes. *The page or place with the least ‘likes’ will always be removed and merged into the larger page, this cannot be combined any other way and cannot be undone.

Step 3: Click in the top right corner ‘Edit Page’. Then from the left hand navigation under ‘Resources’ click ‘Merge duplicate page’. *The ‘Merge duplicate page’ link will only show if you are the admin of 2 Pages with the same or similar name.

Step 4: A window will pop up with a list of pages to be merged that you admin. Click on the page(s) you wish to merge and click ‘Merge Pages’. *If you’re merging a Place and a Page make sure they have the same address.

Step 5: Another window will pop up confirming that you want to merge this page. It will also state that all wall posts, photos, videos, etc, will be permanently deleted. Now don’t worry, if you have gone through this process correctly you are good to go! The content from the page you are merging will be deleted, and the page you are keeping that you began this process through will remain. All fans and check-ins from the merged page will be added to your main page.

Step 6: Navigate to your main Facebook Page. The fan count should have increased and if there are any check-ins these will be added to your page.

(Learn more about facebook marketing with THAT Agency.)

Profile-Taylor-DeLuca

Taylor De Luca  Taylor is a seasoned copywriter for many industries. Her specialties include SEO website copywriting, email marketing, PPC ads, blogging, press releases, newsletters, articles, brochures, and case studies.

51 Comments

1. Brent Hannify

Hi there –

Thanks for your post, I had a question about this. I have heard that it is also possible for similarly named pages (but not duplicates) to be merged. Is this true?

I work for the University of Redlands in Redlands, CA. We want to merge two pages that are titled:

1. University of Redlands
    2. University of Redlands Official.

Is this possible? (By the way, I don’t yet have administrative privileges over the first page, which is why I’m not able to check this out myself)

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME! I am really trying to get this question answered soon!

Email me at [REMOVED]

• Carlos

@Brent Hannify: Hi, thanks a lot for your article it is really good. Just what happened when the “Merge duplicates sites” function do not appear? any hope?

Both fanpages have the same address
      The same type
      The same category
      The same information

Though, I do not get this function, even though I am admin in both fanpages…

2. Meredydd

Could you tell me please how to change the name of the page to be same?

3. DeAnna

Hi Meredydd, if you are merging 2 Pages they need to have similar names to be eligible to merge. If they are not, then you CAN change the name of any page as long as it has less than 100 likes.

To edit your Page name:

1. Go to your FB Page and click the ‘Edit Page’ in the top right corner.
    2. Click ‘Basic Information’ on the left-hand side bar.
    3. You can then change the Page name in the ‘Name’ field.

If your page has more than 100 ‘likes’ the only way to change the name is to completely recreate the page.

4. MaryAshley

1. I have admin privileges over both my Page and my Place.
    2. I am seeking to merge the Place into the Page.
    2. Both have the same physical address and same name.
    3. I am not given the option to merge the two under “Resources.”

Part of the issue may be that the addresses were wrong, and I have had to correct them. But now they are both listed correctly. Any thoughts? Or anything I am missing?

• DeAnna

Hi Mary, I was unable to find the second page you are trying to merge when searching on Facebook. I did find a duplicate page, however the address was not listed. The ‘Merge’ option may not be immediately available since you said you have recently changed the address. I’ll shoot you an e-mail about these pages so I can take a look and see if there is anything missing.

5. Rich

Hey DeAnna. Could you merge a fan page with a group? I know you were able to have people like the groups before cause I had the code on my site, but now it doesnt let you. So my fan page has like 88 people while my group has a couple thousand. any thoughts?

• DeAnna

Hey Rich, unfortunately right now Facebook does not allow groups and pages to be merged, or to make a group into a page. If you want to migrate your group members to your fan page you can send a message to group users with the location of the fan page to try to get them to switch, or vice versa to migrate the 88 fan page users to the group. Not ideal, but that’s about all you can do for now, I’ll let you know if anything changes.

6. Allison

I have a similar issue as MaryAshley — I’m admin to two pages, but the link to merge does not appear. They are both the same type of page, have the same name, have the same address. Help?

Thanks!

• DeAnna

Hi Allison, have you recently changed the address for a page? With MaryAshley’s case it was due to her recently changing the address which took about 15 hours before Facebook updated this and allowed her to merge the pages.

7. Jesus

Hello, I manage a page for a college. I asked Facebook for control on an unofficial page. They granted me admin right months ago. Before having 100 likes on the unofficial page. I changed the name to match the official name. I changed the address of both to match. It has been about 21 hours and the merge button has not appeared on either page. Do you know if I am missing something? I also tried merging the pages requesting Facebook but it tells me that the page I am trying to merge is not authentic.

• DeAnna

Hi Jesus, it may take a while for the merge option to appear, and in some cases Facebook may have a ‘bug’ that needs sorted out. In that case I would report this directly to Facebook. I’ll shoot you an e-mail and take a look to see if there’s anything missing.

8. Prabidh Sharma

At First I had created a page for my one website but now i have own more than two websites and it is very difficult to create individuals pages for my individuals websites and get likes to each pages. So i created a single which will be suitable for each websites .

Names of both pages are not same its similar and i have not kept any address for both the pages.

So now i want to merge my previous page with another page but i am unable to do so.. I am the single admin of both the pages no other are involved in both the pages.

9. Graeme

In a similar position to jesus.

Control 2 pages for the bar i work at but unable to merge them.

They have the same address but slightly different names.

10. Jeana Chesnik

Hi DeAnna, I recently started as a social media manager and I would like to merge the three Facebook pages my company is admins to. They all have th same address, and partial similar names. I am also having the same problem when I try to merge the accounts. The merge acccount link/option doesn’t show once I go under “edit page” and then “resources.” I already appreciate the time you are taking to answer these questions.I hope you can help. Thank you.

11. Sunny

I have two pages that I need to merge. How do I retain the name of the page that is not primary?

The non-primary page does not have the merge option and not too many looks.
    thank you.

12. Felipe

FB awarded me my “places” page 2 weeks ago, which has almost 1000 check ins but less than 60 likes. I have a verified business page with over 500 likes. They have the same name and address, and it still does not give me the option to merge them.

13. majamp

Hi!
    I have a serious problem. I have just merged two pages with a same name and facebook merged page with more than 20k fans to the one with 2 fans, and deleted a page with more than 20k fans!
    All informations and post are deleted and I cannot return them!
    Please help!

14. Jeanine

Hi DeAnne,

The merge link used to appear under the Resources link, but since a couple of weeks, just at the time that my new page reached more fans than the old one and I could merge, the link disappeared.

I know there is a way to send a merge request to FB, but they didn’t respond at all when I did that 3 weeks ago.

Any thoughts?

The two pages are:

(I would like to keep the first one, I am in control of the Admin André Gingras as well)

15. shruti patel

I have about 7 other pages. among 7, 4 pages consist of same name. I want to authenticate all pages. HOW CAN I AUTHENTICATE THE PAGE… The JOLT FORM is not working. Pls show me any other & easy way… Plus I want to Merge that 4 same name pages, but in Resources the Option of Merge Duplicate Pages dont come… Why ???

SHOW ME two (2) steps. First how to Authenticate pages. and Second How to get the Merger option in Resources ???

16. Maurolicious

Hello,

This is a bit off-topic, but just as frustrating.

I helped someone create a fanpage, including an address. When I go to check in, it does not appear in the nearby places. I can only select the other places in my area or create a new place withbthe same name as my fan-page.

When I go to the fan-page directly, I have the option to “check in” and then it shows that it is less than a mile away and lets me check in and check in freinds as well.

Is there some privacy setting on fanpages ( or perhaps the business/location type) that prevents them from being listed publicly as nearby places?

Thanks!

17. Kimberly Castleberry

Hey DeAnne, nice article. When lifting images however, even if you’re planning to alter them, it’s always polite to include a backlink.
    Kim

18. Gouri

Thanks for the tutorial. Looks like this option is no more available..

19. Kat

Hi DeAnna,

Our company has two Facebook pages which are duplicates, but have slightly different names, “Red Wheel / Conari Press” and “Red Wheel /Weiser Books. We wanted to merge them, but the merge option is not showing up. We tried going through all the different Admins’s log ins and we can’t change the name on either page so that the names match because they both have well over 100 likes. We also didn’t change the address on either so that shouldn’t be what’s preventing us from merging. Is there anyway to resolve this issue do you think? What do huge companies that go through mergers and have their company’s name change do if they’ve already built a Facebook presence of over 100 likes??
    Thanks!

20. melanie

Hi, I am having a common problem with others. I am admin on both pages name Exactly same.
    The address and city and state are same. The zip code is not but I have tried to change it and it goes to a link that says basic at the end and never lets me change it.
    Is there a way to merge if the zip is different or is it just the address?

Thank yoU!

21. Jesus

It has been a while since I made the necessary changes to the sites. Their name is the same, same address for both. Tried reporting it to facebook and it told me that I needed the page authentication. Hopefully, I am able to resolve this soon. Thanks for the e-mail and help.

22. HF

What’s really sad here is all these people have issues because Facebook sucks! The merge option does not appear when it’s supposed to and if you try to submit a help ticket to Facebook they never get back to you. I manage several accounts and am even an advertiser and pay good $ to them but heavens forbid if I have any issue with them. I think instead of trying to merge an old page with a new page, if the “merge” option does not show up under resources, it appears the only and best option is just to delete the page so as to not cause confusion with fans going forward. You’ll lose those fans but that’s better than having new fans mistakenly “Like” the wrong page.

23. Wendy

Currently working on a website for a restaurant client. There are two pages out there, one that someone set up on their behalf and one that is not claimed yet. The one that is not yet claimed has over 100 likes, the other does not. I want to keep the name of the one with the 100 likes, BUT I also want to keep the content from the one with less likes (79). After claiming and becoming admin, if I merge the two, will I retain all information (they already set up a nice restaurant menu) from the one with less likes?

24. Tena

Hi,

I have two pages but my issue is this: the ‘merge’ pages option only shows up under the one with the LEAST likes. I’m afraid that if I merge under this page that it will merge them into the wrong page. When I follow directions and go to the page with the most likes – the merge option does not show up.

Will it always merge the page with the least likes into the one with the most likes – even if the merge option only shows up under the one with the least likes?

Thanks so much, great post.

25. Braves93

I am having the same issue as Maurolicious. I combined my Page and Places and now I can’t find my place when I try to check in. The address is correct and everything is public. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

26. Cathryn

Thanks for the info here. I have two pages, a business page, and a newly created page which I changed from a private account to a page.

They both have over 100 likes. I want to merge the pages into the one business page so all the likes are in one place. I do need to have people be able to find us by our personal name as well. The merge pages link does not show up for me. Any advice?

27. Rick

@ Everyone who can’t see a ‘merge’ option- We came across facebook merge request form today (https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=160167234097982). We haven’t had to use it yet but would love if someone comments back with the results!

Cheers!

28. Elizabeth

Helpl! I found a duplicate places page and wanted to merge it into our official Facebook Page. I followed the instructions to merge two sites. Facebook said you could only merge into the page with the most likes and the one with the least likes would be lost–which would have been fine. Unfortunately when I made the merge it did the opposite. It kept the low used/unused site and deleted the real site. Can this be undone?

29. amiros

New May 2012
    Facebook offers to merge two Facebook pages by filling out a form. The goal is to bring together the fans. But beware, the time of the merger, we must distinguish the authorized official Facebook page and or pages that are not authentic.

30. Damion Vanbecelaere

Sometimes I contemplate if folks truly take time to write something original, or are they only just dishing out words to fill a site. This certainly doesn’t fit that mold. Thank you for taking the time to write with awareness. From Time To Time I look at a page and question whether they even proofread it.Fantastic work with this article.

31. sanja

Hello MY MERGE BUTTON won’t appear and I didn’t change any of the addresses..so I cant merge my fb account with my like page.

:(((

32. sanja

Now I have two like pages and I can not combine – merge them because the button does not appear :/

33. Laci

I merged two different pages, the one that I created for my company “Thurston Manufacturing Company” and the one someone else created “Thurston Manufacturing Co”… I think the merge went ok, but I can no longer check in. Do you know why this could be?

34. sajsy

Help!

I’ve converted my artist’s Personal account to a Fan page, that I have then merged with his main Fan Page – but no new likes have been added at all! Did I do something wrong? For the other artists I changed the newly created duplicate Fan page into an ‘Interest’ page before merging – but for this last one I didn’t. Is that why? Are the Likes lost forever??

Grateful for response!

35. You Know Who I am

Help!

I have a page that want to merge, so do a duplicate one. When I go to the resource tab, I can’t see the Merge Button.

Please! I need a response. :(

36. Nathan

Hello!
    Do you have the appropriate permissions to do this? Also, only pages with similar names will see this link.

37. Redwan

hey, when i go to resources there is no option for merging, what should i do?

and another thing*
    i have 3 pages to merge together.
    1)1600+likes
    2)95+likes
    3)350+likes

can i merge all three ? and will my details change?(larger group)

38. erasmus

we just migrated our “people” to “page” and we already had a page. both same name but the old one with less likes has all the content on it. when merging it will only want to keep the one with the most likes and we will lose all contend. do you have a suggestion how to solve this issue.

best,
    KruxAmsterdam

39. J

Hello.

Is it possible for me to gain ownership/access to a page that is under my name but made by another person? It was a ‘fan’ page that became stagnant and I would want to keep that page active but I do not have admin rights to it.

Thanks!

• Nathan

You would have to gain admin access to do anything involving managing the page. However, as a non admin you can report pages as duplicates. Does this help?

Thanks!
      -NM

40. Themis

HELLO, Ι HAVE A LOCATION AND A PAGΕ ΒUT WHEN I GO TO RECOURSES I DID THE OPTION FOR MERGING BUT NOTHING HAPPEN, WHAT I SHOULD DO NOW?

• thatagency

Hello,
      Unfortunately the merging function is at Facebook’s discretion and they seem to be a bit slow moving when merging pages. How long ago did you submit the request?

Thank you!

41. Sandra

Hi,
    This is quite old post but I hope someone can help me…
    I’ve got a place and a page which I merged, now I only have the page. However, people can no longer ‘add location’ as they used to be. Previously, the place was quite big and everybody knew it – now the place nor the page can be found and therefore people are creating more places which I need to claim and then merge again… why doesn’t it show the page as a valid ‘add location’?
    Regards,
    Sandra

• thatagency

Hi Sandra,
      This likely has to do with how the page is set up. If your page is for a local business, it should give you options to add in a physical address.
      I hope this helps!

42. Abob

I claimed 4 pages that were created by customers for my business (each has under 30 likes). I’m also the admin for each page, i’ve tried to merge these pages multiple times and each time it wont go through. In addition the facebook page I created for my business is no longer showing up under the pages I manage, therefore I cannot respond or post anything for my business. Please help!!!!

Also, I’ve tried claiming my original FB page back, but nothing as happened.

-Abob

43. Rodney Young

Hello, I am in the process of merging 2 facebook pages, but the one with less likes has more content on it, and i want to keep it. how do i merge the pages while keeping all the content in the one with less likes?